Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Condoms for Kids?




I'm of the mind that all sites and literature promoting safer sex should provide guidance based on real situations.



I'm sick of materials designed for high risk groups such as Men who have sex with Men (MSM), sex workers, and injecting drug users that uses child-like cartoons like little condom-men with smiling faces. I've seen more projects that I'd like to admit that have responded to the challenges of trying to reach a young or low-literate target group by making their communications too childlike. Sex is a very adult issue. Treating your target group with a modicum of respect makes for more effective interventions.

Example from: http://www.thethreeamigos.org/




There is hope. I am a big fan of the work at Hard Cell, a website targeting Men who have Sex with Men who address questions of protection with a heavy dose of sexual content. Only those 18 and over should visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment